Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Ticket and a Question

A ticket: That's right, I finally bought my plane ticket to Cambodia.
I leave on the night of April 30th and arrive in Phnom Pehn at about 10.30pm the following day.
I return to England on August 27th, arriving on the 28th into London (don't even ask how that works with the time difference-its so confusing!)


A question: Please will you pray?
There was something that really took the joy and excitement out of the moment I decided to buy my plane ticket.
My family is going through a rough time right now, and more for the sake of venting than of informing, I'll tell you what's been going on. (and you know how good I am at short explanations....not)

My Dad's job contract ended in January and he hasn't been able to find another one. He usually has quite a high paying job, which goes toward things like my little sister's private school tuition, two vacation apartments we rent out, and of course the upkeep of a 101-year-old house that keeps threatening to fall down. Basically, in terms of money, we're up poo creek without a paddle. (sorry Erin)
This shouldn't really be an issue for me, because the funding for my Cambodia trip is supposed to be all my own money, from the inheritance my Grandma left me. 
Well...today I heard that we might not even be able to sell the house by April, and I can't have my money until the house is sold.

I called my Mum to tell her I was going to buy this plane ticket and we got in a bit of an argument. She was angry that I was going to "risk" buying it and not being able to pay living expenses there, not going in the end. She explained that my Dad was in a horrible mood because he felt I was being selfish and not even trying to get a job. (I applied for 8 jobs in the last two days and have been working for him all of each day for two months, having no free time)
You see, my parents aren't Christians. They don't understand why I'm paying a lot of money to go somewhere where I have to pay to help people. I can't tell them that I'm going because God wants me to, and that He will provide all the money and things I need. I can't tell them that there are people who need Jesus and need His love and God wants to use me to help show them that.
Thinking about it...man...its really sad the way they see things.
They don't really like the idea of me going because I'm spending money that I could be putting toward MY university tuition to get MY good job so that I will have a good life. And because I could be planning things out better, like timings. They don't think about the people who have nothing...who have no hope. They don't think of helping them.

So please...please pray for them. For their hearts, their salvation, their understanding and acceptance of me going to Cambodia for four months, for provision, a job for my father.
For me, it doesn't matter how I get the money to finance this trip, because God will provide and already knows exactly how. But it is so hard with my parents constantly getting angry with me for going.
I don't want to sound dramatic, but my becoming a Christian has really been tearing my family apart. Because they don't have the understanding of God and His will, of spiritual warfare, of God's provision and love and mercy and desires for people, they see things the wrong way. They see God's taking me away from home often as me wanting to always get away from them. They see my commitment to God above them as abandonment. I know that it is all in God's plan and has a reason, and I know that Christianity is supposed to get to people and affect them like that, but Satan often attacks me with guilt that I'm causing my family pain and strife. And I really need your prayers.

So...in short (like that's ever gonna happen), please pray for at least one of these:
  • My family's salvation, and their understanding of my faith and why I'm doing what I'm doing
  • A job for my Dad
  • Provision for the funding of my trip. Its going to cost about $2500 all in all and I have about $1600
  • My relationship with the Lord and good fellowship-both have been significantly lacking recently
  • Cambodia-the saved, the unsaved, the missionaries, new workers, provision, health, spreading of the Gospel....
I've added some links a couple of the missionaries out there to my Ministries page. You can find the link at the top right corner of my main blog page. Check them out, keep them in prayer.

God Bless you guys.
Thanks for sticking it out through all my rants.
This is why I never used to blog, I can't seem to keep things short.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you so much mil, I'm praying. Keep hangin in there, God is good and will take care of you, your family, your relationship with your family, your needs for the cambodia trip....coem to think of it, He will take care of EVERYTHING. I love you


sooooo much

MUAH